10 Questions with Ed Hale
Ed Hale, Head of AXA Commercial Property lets us know how he spends his free time.
1. What’s your favourite thing about working at AXA?
The way that we always put the customer first in everything that we do.
2. What is the best advice you've been given?
A teacher used to say “start with the end in mind” and “you need to understand before you can be understood” which I have often found to be useful.
3. If you didn’t work in insurance, what industry would you like to work in?
I’ve always had an interest in the medical profession.
4. Who is on the guest list for your ideal dinner party?
Barack Obama, Winston Churchill, Nelson Mandela, David Attenborough, Bill Clinton and Paul McCartney.
5. How has the property insurance landscape changed in recent times?
I think that we are living in fascinating times that is seeing huge change whether that is in the technological, social, political or economic landscape. Like all types of insurance, property insurance needs to change to provide the protection our customers’ need.
6. What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
I am currently learning to play the guitar which is proving a challenge!
7. How do you see innovation affecting the insurance industry and the property sector in particular?
I think it could affect everything we do, which is a great opportunity for us to develop our relationship with our customers as we look to move from Payer to Partner. We need to understand how we can use innovation to provide better solutions for managing risk but also to provide the best possible service.
8. What do you like to do outside of work?
I am quite active so I like to do road cycling, play golf as well as surf.
9. Do you have a message for our brokers?
We have a strong track record in developing a profitable property portfolio with our brokers and we want to continue to grow this, so talk to us about your property risks, particularly mid-market and Real Estate portfolios.
10. How has AXA adapted their property insurance offering to stay relevant in an ever-changing, highly competitive market?
We have developed our mid-market offer through the Vantage brand that details our risk appetite and proposition to provide customers with the property solution that they need. Manufacturing is a sector that we want to grow faster in and we have reviewed our proposition to provide greater protection for our customers.