Making a household insurance claim
When your policyholder needs to make a claim, contact our claims team who will immediately take action to help. Having the policy number to hand will help make the claims process quicker.
If you or the policyholder decide to telephone us, we will:
- Take details of the loss or damage caused.
- Instruct an approved supplier or loss adjuster to contact the policyholder.
Where necessary arrange for someone to contact you or the policyholder as soon as possible to discuss your claim.
What the policyholder should do
The first thing they should do
- We recommend that the cover should be checked. The policy booklet contains details of what is covered. The policy schedule will show what sections are in force.
Immediately after discovering a loss
- Urgently inform the Police and obtain a crime or lost property reference number if property is lost or stolen or theft or malicious damage is suspected.
- Contact us as soon as possible.
- Take all reasonable steps to recover missing property.
- Take all reasonable steps to prevent further damage.
After reporting the claim
- The policyholder may be asked to provide evidence to support their claim such as receipts or utility bills. If this is the case AXA will pay any reasonable associated costs.
What not to do after reporting the claim
- The policyholder must not admit or deny any claim made by a third party against them or a member of their family or make any agreement with the third party.
- The policyholder must not abandon any property for us to deal with.
- The policyholder must not dispose of any damaged items as we may need to see them.