10 Questions with Brendan McCafferty
Brendan McCafferty, AXA Insurance's CEO for Direct and Intermediated business, joined the team in February 2017.
Brendan has more than 30 year's experience in the insurance industry having played a crucial role in the launch of the Flood Re scheme. Brendan's previous experience also includes high profile positions at Paymentshield, Willis UK, RSA and Aviva.
- What was your perception of AXA before you joined?
Underestimated and smart with great potential.
- What is the best advice you've been given?
Don’t make too many assumptions about other people.
- If you didn’t work in insurance what industry would you like to work in?
Engineering – building, better, bigger and faster.
- Who is on the guest list for your ideal dinner party?
Warren Buffett, Elon Musk, General Patton, Rosa Parks, Peter Kay and my wife!
- What is your favorite thing about working in the insurance industry?
The need to blend art and science. You need both.
- What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
I spend quality time with a qualified life coach every month.
- How do you see innovation affecting the insurance industry?
It’s going to blow everything to bits unless we adapt.
- What do you like to do outside of work?
Spend time with my family and explore military history – how people and leaders respond to adversity fascinates me.
- What 5 words would you use to describe the insurance industry?
Vital, untrusted, changing, technical and fascinating.
- Do you have a message for our brokers?
We’re a global brand and are bigger and more capable than you might realise. You’re not making the most of what we can do for you!